The importance of dental care is often overlooked by some pet owners and their Veterinarians.
While cavities aren’t usually a big problem for pets, many forms of gum disease can negatively affect your pet’s quality of life. Statistics show that almost 85% of cats and dogs have some form of dental disease by at least 3 years of age. Some studies have even shown that regular teeth cleanings will help your pet live 2-3 years longer on average.
Untreated dental disease can lead to increased risk of liver, kidney, heart disease, and other infections throughout the body. Dental disease can also cause chronic stress in your pet due to pain and discomfort. However, symptoms can go unnoticed because of the natural defense mechanisms of animals to hide their disease.
At Brickyard Animal Hospital, we care for every aspect of your pet’s health. All our Doctors have a special interest in pet dental care. The only way to check your pet for signs of dental disease is to bring him or her in for an examination.
A professional cleaning at Brickyard Animal Hospital involves:
- Under general anesthesia, the entire mouth is examined to determine the general severity of disease.
- Using an ultrasonic piezoelectric scaler as well as hand scalers all the teeth are cleaned above and below the gum line.
- The mouth is reevaluated by visual exam and probing of all teeth.
- Suspect teeth are x-rayed to determine extent of disease below the gum line.
- Any teeth deemed unsalvageable are extracted or referred for root canals or other endodontic procedures.
- Chipped, but salvageable teeth are treated with a light-cured bonded sealant.
- Other borderline teeth also deemed salvageable may receive doxirobe antibiotic gel placed deep around the affected teeth to eliminate infection and promote healing.
- All teeth are then polished to smooth and harden the enamel.
- Local anesthetics are also routinely used to provide pain relief at extraction sites.
- Pain medications and antibiotics if needed are sent home for those with more severe disease or extractions